8.01.2015

Brought back to life

Do you believe in the soul of a house?

I do. I don't really know what else to call it but I believe buildings and spaces are alive and though they are merely a mixing together of wood and nails and sheetrock and paint, in their sum, they are something greater and it is in the tending of a house that transforms it into a home.

This is the home that my brother's and I grew up in. This is the home where we experienced joy and unexpected loss. It's the home that my mom lived in for 40 years. It's the home that for the last few years, through the uncontrollable circumstances of life, was beginning to show signs of neglect, distraction and stagnancy.

Today, I think we brought it back to life.
















Over the last 9 months, with the unbelievable effort and help of family, friends and strangers we can officially say:

1005 is now a rental property. A legal, refinanced as a rental property property. It has House Rules and a signed lease. It's furnished and full of character. And though it's not perfect or updated to meet all of my design needs, it's good. Really good.

So as I am writing this, there is a new family, with two small children, spending their first night in a place that they will call home for at least the next year. Tomorrow they will open more cabinets and closets. Maybe they will stock a snack drawer in the kitchen. There will be new markings on the walls and stains on the furniture. There will be new habits formed and rhythms started.

And that is exactly what this old house needs.

1 comment:

jen said...

Beautiful, Alex...you can be incredibly proud...you did good, girl!!!