This is a really unsexy topic. It's not pretty and no one will ever see it. And it is an upgrade and cost we had to endure because we had to put in sprinklers. But we will undeniably be grateful for today because we officially have water!!!!!
And we officially have water because I managed this little side project while our contractor stayed focused on getting Phase 2 done. And by doing that, we saved ourselves $930. And I get the satisfaction that something that I managed passed an official inspection.
Just in case you are wondering what that all means...
1. Drove to local water district, completed application and paid $170 for them to come and update the water meter at the street to a new 3/4 meter
2. Got an encroachment permit from Public Works which allowed us to dig in the public right of way in order to get from the meter to our property
3. Called 811 - "Call before you Dig" in order to get all the local utility companies to come and mark the location of gas, electrical and water lines in the vicinity of where we wanted to dig
4. Scheduled our gardener to come and dig a 20" deep trench and dig out the old pipe
5. Scheduled our plumber to come install the new 1" pipe and back flow apparatus
6. Called city to schedule inspection of completed new pipe
7. Bought 8 bags of sand which needed to be put under pipe before the inspection
8. Worried that we wouldn't pass the inspection because upon closer view, I realized the trench was not 20" deep but only 13" deep
9. Called the city this morning at 8:40am to get our 1 hr inspection window
10. Found out the window was from 8:45am-10am
11. Drove back to the house before taking H to pre-school and in 10 minutes, while he sat in his carseat in the car, dumped 6 bags of sand under the pipe in the public right of way trench
12. Made it back for the tail end of the inspection that happened at 9:40am. And was thrilled when the inspector said you PASSED!
13. Spent the next 2 hours shoveling pea gravel, dirt and rock in order to fill the trenches
14. Checked water service update OFF MY LIST!